Be A Safe Families Church
Building a Network of Local Churches
The Safe Families outreach is only successful when it is embraced and adopted by the local church. Churches of all sizes are necessary to providing for vulnerable children within our communities.
Manifesting the love and compassion of Christ by empowering, supporting, training and ministering to Host Families, other volunteers, and Placing Families within the Christian community.
The activities of participating Churches include:
- Mentoring Safe Families: Providing support, education, and guidance to families hosting children in their homes.
- Recruiting Host Families: Showing a promotional DVD during services, hosting information tables, placing advertisements in bulletins and newsletters or on websites.
- Hosting Regular Support Groups: Providing opportunities for Host Families to meet together on a monthly or quarterly basis, building a sense of community and a network of support.
- Development of Support Services: Identifying professionals and non-professionals to provide support services to those that care for children including physicians, mental health professionals, lawyers, social workers, nurses, etc. Procuring volunteer babysitting, respite care, and transportation services for Host Families.
- Providing Resources: Developing a resource closet or center to help provide items for children placed within Safe Families. Including diapers, formula, car seats, clothing, blankets, and other supplies that Host Families may need when children enter their home.
- Assisting in Child Placements
- Ministering to Placing Families: Families who have placed their child(ren) with a Host Family are in a crisis situation and need support, even after their children are returned to them. The participating Safe Families Church is encouraged to minister to them and care for their short-term and long-term needs, whether physical, emotional or spiritual.